Jigoro Kano founded judo as a modern Olympic sport at the end of 19th century, through a detailed process of research on traditional combat forms. At that time, he used and studied all available sources, such as books and texts about jujutsu styles and other combat techniques, that enabled him to establish an innovative sport system and to develop the philosophy of judo.
In more recent modern times, researchers in judo, academic scholars, with skills and knowledge of the use of scientific research methods, are continuing Jigoro Kano’s processes, using all available sources when investigating various aspects of the sport. The Arts and Sciences of Judo was launched in June 2021 as an academic publication that would bring judo researchers from all over the world together to publish their research papers. The ASJ focuses on topics that are relevant for the development of judo and those that could help to bridge the gap between academic research and the needs of practical work in judo.
In this way the IJF Academy will make the research community in judo stronger and their efforts can be more visible and recognised within the judo community and beyond. This publication will also help judo coaches, competitors and all other judo practitioners to solve the challenges they face and to continuously promote judo as the most valuable sport, educational method and social activity for all.
We are aiming at The Arts and Sciences of Judo becoming an important source of information for all those who would like to learn more about our sport: judo students at the IJF Academy, kinesiology and sport faculties or simply anyone who loves judo and would like to learn more.
The journal is publishing academic research papers that are not published elsewhere but also includes book reviews, research reports, viewpoints and debates on specific important topics for judo development. All submitted manuscripts are subject to initial appraisal by the Editor and if found suitable for further consideration, to peer review by at least two anonymous expert reviewers.
Enjoy the read!
Benefits of the IJF journal
• The IJF Academy is playing a leading role in the field of publishing academic research in judo
• Important research edition within the IJF scientific library
• Key source of information and knowledge for IJF students and seminar attendees, kinesiology students, coaches and administrative staff in judo
• Platform for establishing better, stronger communication between researchers, kinesiology universities and the IJF Academy
• Opportunity to reduce the gap between judo’s research and academic communities and dojo practitioners (athletes, coaches and administrators)
• A tool to develop many related activities, such as the possibility to conduct debate and collate opinions through the web site, including a group of experts to be established as a judo think tank)
• Research conferences on specific topics can be planned and promoted through the journal
• Long term possibility to follow trends in judo and inform IJF members on specific topics.